Friday, May 14, 2010

Feeling like a Runner

Runs have been going really well. Today was the 4th day in a row with a run. Tuesday morning, Ben and I met in the middle of the city and ran the loop of both bridges three times, which was one more than the past Friday. Wednesday, wasn't a scheduled running day, but Jay and I decided to get one in anyway. We ran 4.8 miles in just under an hour. Definitely a slower pace than we're used to, but it was good just to be out there. Thursday, Ben and I met at the classic brisk hour of 5AM and ran a 3 mile loop through the city, I finished in 26min30sec which was slower than I anticipated. the LAST part of that run was going up the Church St. Hill, which SUCKED. I thought people only talked out loud to themselves in the movies, but I literally was saying out loud "Don't walk, run this, run this." and alakazam: I didn't walk. This morning was 5AM again and yet again, Benner had a 3 mile loop mapped out. lots of hills, which I still haven't gotten accustomed to running, I finished in 26min27sec. I was hoping to do 26 flat, but that didn't work out. We're running a 5K next weekend (3.1) miles, and I would love to finish around 22 or 23 minutes. It's not out of the question, but I gotta put the time in next week for sure.

Last Sunday we met at the middle school track again and then Andy led us into the woods. I'll allow a few moments to let your purvurted imaginations run wild. (.............................) Once we got into the woods, we found out that it was a hill day. We ran quite a few hills and because it wasn't smooth terrain, focus became important; one wrong step and it wouldn't be tough to twist your ankle. After we finished, we circled back by where we started and I KNEW we were going to be running the first hill at least once more. Erin's ACL wasn't feeling well, so she sat out and stretched it. Jay said he had one left in him, so he did it once. Andy said he was going to do it twice, so I said I would too. I got back after the 2nd loop and I asked Jay where Andy went and he said that Andy did it again, so I said 'fuck it' and ran one more as well. (Some group members didn't make it that day due to other obligations/injuries so on and so forth)

I'm really wanting to show Ben and Andy that I can do this and that the desire is there. While I'm impressing myself, I honestly want to impress them. I think they're noticing this. There is possible talks of Me running with Andy more because He and Ben think that I can keep up with him and I'm ready for a faster pace. I keep stressing to them that I'm not as athletic as they seem to think, but they disagree. It's not that I'm athletic, I just have a small competitive fire in me, and since I'm not really SKILLED at any sports, (except of course, ultimate frisbee and pin game.....check my resume') I'm finding that I can excel in pushing myself because there's no real skill involved, just will power. I've heard it before, and I think it is true that "Great Will defeats Great Skill."

Overall I'm really proud of everyone so far. The ones that are sticking with it are really sticking with it. It'll be worth it on October 3rd. Sorry this is such a long post, but aayyyy I GOTTA LOT TA SAY!!

Until next Time,

Buenos Dias

No comments:

Post a Comment