Tuesday, March 30, 2010

post uno. (pre-marathon)

Sooo, this is officially my first post on my first blog of all time. Truly a historical moment in the Book of Dave. This blog will be used basically as a journal over the next 6 months as I train and attempt to write another important chapter in the Book of Dave. October 3rd..8am..Corning, NY.....(drumroll please)....The Wineglass Marathon. 26.2 miles traveling through beautiful wine country by way of foot. I will not be doing this alone. Jason Slight, Justin Patrick, Jennie O'Connor, Erin O'Connor and maybe most importantly, our esteemed "coaches"...Andy Weeks and Ben O'Connor.

I'm not sure if it was Andy or Ben that had the idea to run a marathon, but regardless, they took the idea and ran with it........pun. Andy and Ben used to run cross country, but outside of that there really isn't much running experience on the team. Andy is easily in the best shape of us so far, because he doesn't drink alcohol!! Also, Ben is a research machine, and has been awesome in the planning. Hooked us up with a diet plan and a training regiment. I really hope everyone appreciates what he's done as much as I do.

We're going to be running in two groups: a 5am group and a 7pm group. unfortunately, with my work schedule, I'll usually be on the 5am group. early, early mornings. We're gonna be running on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Sundays are going to be our longest runs of each week and we're going to run them all together and then have a big dinner afterwards (within the diet.) :-\

So....Why run a marathon? At our first team meeting, that question was asked and we went around the room and everyone said why they want to run a marathon. I've never really committed to any extra-curricular event in my life. I figure a marathon is going to get me in killer shape, which I need to do. Also, less than 1% of the WORLD's population has completed a marathon. How amazing would it be to be part of that group? There are a few people that are close to me that have said they don't think I can do it. Which is fine, I realize this is a crazy thing to attempt, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But I want to prove those people wrong. There are people I know that, due to disabilities, can't run a marathon and have really backed my wanting to try it. So I'm doing it for them as well. But when all is said and done, you've gotta want to do it for you, and I do. I want this for me. Is there anything more gratifying than crossing the finish line after running a fucking marathon? I don't know, but I'll keep you posted. I'm doing this with a great group of people and I love them all. We're either gonna be bonded for life, hate each other or both by the end of this.

I imagine this will be easily my longest post, so if you're still reading, don't worry, it won't always be this painstaking (thats what she said.) Training/Dieting starts next Tuesday. Until then...

Peace In

No comments:

Post a Comment