Monday, September 27, 2010

6 days...

Bonjour Readers,

I know it's been STUPID long since my last post, but as the big day is rapidly approaching, I feel the need to update those of you who are remotely interested.

First things first, our Marathon Team has dropped from a starting total of 9 people, to a grand total of 4 people. Danimal Coant, Ben and Erin O'Connor (Bro and Sis...aww how cute;-) and Myself will be running in our first marathon next Sunday. Bath, NY to Corning, NY. 26.2 miles through wine country and little towns, and hopefully large crowds cheering us on the whole way.

At the time of my last post, I think my longest run to date was 6 miles? My, how time flies. 6 miles is an easy day now. We've done runs of 9,10,12,14, and 15 miles as a group and I did a 17 mile jaunt solo one afternoon. Normally, or so I'm told, your longest run before a marathon should be about 20 miles. HOWEVER, Wineglass(the marathon we're running) is said to be one of if not the best course for beginners because it's 90% downhill, so you can get away with 17 being your long run. (phew). After the 17, I was very tired but not totally dead, and I remember thinking, if I was in the actual marathon right now, I could DEFINITELY pound out another 9.2 miles. I finished 17 in 3h4m, which was about what I expected. On average, we're running well over 22 miles a week, which might not seem like a lot, but at this point in training, we're mostly concerned with maintenance and maintaining what we've got.

I may or may not post once more before the race, but if I don't let it be known that I'm so proud of the group of people running this with me. We will and have pushed each other through some rough times. Its amazing how much you get to know a person simply by running with them. I love them all so much and am honored to call them my friends. We've become a small family and we will be for the rest of all time.

To anyone who was thinking of coming down for the big day, thanks so much! I can't tell you in words how much it means to me, knowing you'll be there offering support along the way. Expect the sweatiest hug of your entire life after I cross the finish line. which I will do. seriously. At this point, my leg will have to fall off before I stop running, and even then who knows.

Anybody who can't make it down; it's totally cool. I appreciate everybody's support over these
past 6 months more than you know. There were times when I doubted myself, and you all helped to keep me going without even realizing it.

For the few people who told me way back in April, that I wouldn't be able to do it; thanks to you also. I'm not bitter towards any of you, and yes, i remember who each and every one of you are. (MUHAAHAHA evil laugh). But seriously, to those people, I want to prove to you as much as to myself that anything is possible. Obviously I believed it before you, but it's never too late.

---Dave
***26.2 Miles, I respect you, but I will conquer you.***

No comments:

Post a Comment